You Must Be New Here, Then?
This here is Fetching Financial Freedom. Come for the dog pictures, stay for the dog pictures, but also we talk about money sometimes.
Would you like to be happier *and* spend less money at the same time? Do you have grand but mostly amorphous goals in life and have no idea where to start, but know you don’t want to spend more time in a cubicle than with your family, and also have a tendency for ridiculously long run-on sentences?
Do you also like to question conventional wisdom and come to your own conclusions? And do you wish you could slap “citation needed” stickers on random web pages? Do websites that lead with a bunch of “do you” questions make you start raising your eyebrow and wondering what they’re selling (spoiler alert: not much*)?
Welcome! You are our kind of people.
Here, have a puppy (and then check out our story below, you know, if you have time after staring at this beautiful mug):
We May Be Retiring *Really* Early
At the ages of 29 and 35, to be exact, in 2019. How, you might ask?
- Two tech jobs (roughly average salaries for the Boston area)
- Modest living expenses (owning a 2000 Camry that’s Seen Better Days modest)
- Mindful spending (For example, eating out once a month at someplace awesome, as opposed to eating out multiple times a week at meh restaurants)
- Lazy investing (All it takes is a John Oliver video, a supplementary article, and the willpower to set up auto-investments once and never touch your accounts again until retirement)
We’d actually already be retired millennials at this point if it weren’t for our expensive Fluffster, charitable donations, and helping out family.
We’re Not Fans of the Word Retirement
We prefer “financial freedom,” which to us means the freedom to pursue your interests without having to worry about money and basic survival. We will still proudly sit at the Financial Independence Retire Early (FIRE) table at FinCon, though!
We’re Nerdy and Write Our Own Software
We’re Not All About The Benjamins, Baby
We Love Solving Problems
Most posts and tools on this site were made because:
- We want to help our future selves, and anyone else who has the same problem. (Car shopping sucks. So much. When we do eventually have to buy a replacement car, now we can save hours of time by having a buying guide to refer to)
- We were overwhelmed by choices and felt compelled to write everything down to make sense of it. (Is there anything more maddening than all the options for cell phone service? Especially when all you want is a cheap $4/mo smartphone plan)
- We wanted an easy tool, but couldn’t make sense of the sea of information out there. (You thought basic real estate decisions were tough? How about trying to decide if you should buy a multifamily house or keep renting?)
If any of this struck a chord, follow our journey below, and/or connect with us on social media!
Follow our journey!
*There is no amount of money that will make us shill BlueHost, but we give honest reviews with some affiliate links to useful products and companies with souls. We also always research the competition and list pros/cons to each option. Our goal for monetizing this site is to cover costs. Above and beyond that, we’ve pledged to give >=50% of profits to charity.