Cents Positive is a women’s financial independence retreat, where those on the path to financial independence (or already there) can connect. I was lucky enough to attend the inaugural retreat in Denver this past weekend, including the blogger day.
The best way I can quickly give you an idea of how it went is to show you what I wrote for the final exercise. Tanja was very insistent on making sure we all wrote a letter to our future selves on the last day. While I slacked and waited until the plane ride home, it was a critical exercise. And now I’m sharing with you (as it’s the only way I will not lose the letter)!
Letter to My Future Self (Prompts Bolded)
Write yourself a letter
Take a few minutes before you head home to remind future you of this experience, including:
- Your biggest takeaways from the retreat →it’s not all or nothing; we are all imperfect
- The biggest surprises or Aha! moments →we all feel guilt and shame and can be there for each other
- What future you should do if you lose your way on the FI journey →write out goals→talk w/Fergus
- What you want future you to remember when you reach your goal →nothing needs to be perfect
- What future you should do if you start to feel alone on the journey →REACH OUT AND VOCALIZE
Dear Future Me:
You have so much to offer. You bring others joy, you listen, you plot, and you scheme for world peace. You will try and you will fail, a lot, and that’s amazing because failure means growth. Embrace it, fail fast, and revector.
TALK TO PEOPLE. They cannot help you if they don’t know what’s wrong.
GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK. You are human. Go for walks, exercise, fuel your body with patriarchy-kicking energy.
CHECK IN. Don’t coast. You don’t have to do amazing things 24/7; you just need to stay mindful. Talk with Fergus. Make a spreadsheet.
What would you include in a letter to your future self? Do you regularly check in with yourself on goals (let me know how!)?